This is where I grew up. It's my Grandparents house in Iowa. I actually lived a quarter mile down the road on another farm but I would always walk
up the road the here. I loved it there and I try to visit as much as I can. I think that maybe why this house is always in my dreams. This house holds so many memories of Christmases of long ago, of farming and raising chickens, of many farm pets and the list and memories go on. The best memory i have is of my Grandfather reading. That is all he ever did. He would carry two or three books around with him everywhere he went. He read at the table and in his chair and in bed. My dad is the same way. I try to do that but as a mother it is a little bit harder for me. My grandmother was a wonderful cook and she would bake all the time. We would mix up a batch of cookies or bars in an afternoon. My grandfather has passed on now nearly two years but my grandmother still lives there. As I said before I get down there when I can in the winter but in the summer I have the privilage of mowing the yard for her. Some people think it's a waste of gas to drive down there every week but I don't. What is the price of gas compared to visiting a person you love. She is turning 90 this month and I am thankful for all the years she has been in my life. She has taught me what love and commitment really are in a marriage. I yearn for the good old days of running through the fields without a care in the world but I still have the memories to look back on and smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment