Friday, September 16, 2011

Things Fade....

They do....they fade. The green in the trees are fading due to fall. Clothing fades due to washings. Why am I talking about fading because I remember something my Grandmother said awhile ago. It took me by surprise.
My Grandpa has been deceased for 2 years now. I miss him alot. Since his passing Granny's mind isn't as sharp as it used to be. She forgets things and is constantly asking the same questions over and over again. Well, because of this she needs someone to stay with her. My cousin Pat does but when he wants to visit friends out of town, he calls me. One time while I was down there we were looking through old pictures. We came across her and Grampy's wedding picture. We both looked at it for some time and then out of the blue she tells me that he is beginning to fade from her memory. It is only after she looks at his picture that she remembers.
I don't know why that came as such a shock to me. Maybe because they had been married for 60+ years. Maybe it was because in my mind they will always be Grampy and Granny. I can't help but think of Grampy when I am down there or when you even mention Granny's name to me.
But thinking about things now, I can see it. I have had a few close friends of mine pass away unexpectedly and they too have faded. I don't think it even has to be attributed to death either. Friends that I have known in high school and so forth are grey in my mind.
I guess that is to be expected. But sometimes even when I look at the pictures of past friends and acquiantences it seems foreign to me.
Is that foriegn feeling attributed to what is in your heart? How you feel about the person? I just find it very strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment