I remember a long time ago I was asked if I would be homeschooling my children. I would laugh and say "Do you want me to go to prison for murder?" You see, I liked that my kids would go away for long periods of time during the day, leaving me free to clean the house or watch marathon episodes of StarGate SG1 or something else. I was so happy to be able to join mothers all over and do the back-to-school dance.
I believe...rather, I know that God doesn't ask you to do the impossible. He asks you to do something that you are actually able to do...with his help. So knowing this, I believed he would never ask me to homeschool. Was I wrong. The unthinkable, at least in my mind, happened. God asked me to homeschool.
Last year I started off homeschooling my daughter Tuesday. It went alright. Since she is in high school I found some easy curriculum for her and away we went. I have to admit, it brought us closer and made me appreciate the wonderful funny little girl I had. This year? Well God asked me to take it one step further and start homeschooling my 11 year old Abraham. Really?
First off let me say that they are both in public school just that it is at home via computers. They belong to the Wisconsin Virtual Academy. It's pretty cool actually. Anyway, I have to admit that I am some days quite frustrated at the boy. He has AD/HD and he can get pretty rambunctious. It's those days when I question what God was actually thinking that day.
God is thinking, "You can do this with me. Stop trying to do it in your own power and let me do it." I have a very hard time with that...hence the frustrations and arguments. When I let go and let God as the saying goes, I find the arguments are at a minimum and the work gets done. So one would think that after that I would give everyday to the Lord, right? WRONG! I must have a huge amount of pride(?) becuae the next day I am off trying it all on my own and guess what happens? Yep...it's a horrible day.
Yesterday was a dandy. I have a dented pot to prove it. No, I didn't hit my kid with it. It just fell to the floor rather rapidly. It was after that that God stepped in and reminded me of his promise. I humbly asked forgiveness from God and from Abraham and he did the same and we finished up school on a great note.
I look back on it now and remember my husband asking me if I am going to be able to handle this all year to which I replied quite cheerily oh yes. Was I lying? No. Because I KNOW that God is not asking me to do the impossible and that HE is indeed with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment